Have you ever thought about how your posture, facial expressions, and other bodily movements will affect your career? If you haven’t, it’s time to find out how your body language expresses you like a pro.
Body language plays a crucial role in the success of an individual, regardless of his field or position, and although its implementation and effects often seem hidden, the postures and movements that you make show certain characteristics about you. Even an unqualified professional can move up through the effective use of his body language, while those with the best potential will not be promoted without it.
But fortunately, anyone can learn how to take advantage of body language to build better relationships and reputations among colleagues.
Reinforcing job qualities through body language:
When it comes to influencing a business, many factors contribute to what others think of you. Your choice of words, tone of voice, dress, etc. send signals to others about your abilities.
However, body language is one of the most important factors in shaping other people’s perceptions of you. By using movements, postures, and facial expressions, you can highlight positive traits such as:
- Self-confidence: It is well known that business leaders display confidence or a sense of belief in their abilities or accomplishments. So, if you want to get ahead, use body language to convey confidence, even when you don’t feel like it.
- Packages: Managing duties and high-ranking employees requires the ability to strengthen your will – or that of the company – against the odds; Where your non-conforming posture shows your ability to influence and lead.
- interest: Employers, colleagues, partners, and potential clients want to work with persuasive people in their discussions. Actively showing interest in a conversation, lecture, or presentation indicates that you, as a professional, will use the same level of engagement in future working relationships.
- Openness to cooperation: Although assertiveness is the key to leadership, the ability to cooperate with others to achieve common goals is extremely important. The ability to identify and combine insights from one or more external parties helps you benefit from the expertise of others, ultimately enhancing your strategies.
- Intelligence: Success in any field requires a variety of knowledge, from education to professional and personal experiences. Body language techniques that convey mindfulness and understanding indicate a higher IQ and show others that you are mentally ready for greater responsibility.
- Sympathy: IQ is not the only criterion in the business world; but also the emotional intelligence quotient (EQ); Professionals who respond to the emotional needs of themselves, their clients, and their colleagues have a better chance of advancing in their field.
You can increase your influencers’ respect without saying a word by using body language techniques to express one or more of these traits, and as a result, you can gain more attention from professionals. This enables them to help you improve your career.
8 effective body language tricks:
1. Maintain eye contact and active listening techniques.
Everyone wants to feel cared for, so practicing active listening shows that you care about others, by maintaining eye contact with others when speaking, nodding occasionally, and using other cues of quick attention.
2. Keep your palms facing down.
Those around you may not be aware of this subtle step, but it helps shape their opinion of you completely. When a person places his palms on tables or platforms while talking to others, he is showing a sense of authority and leadership.
3. Synchronize your movements with the movements of others.
Mimicking or “mirroring” other people’s body language shows that you philosophically align with them, too. So observe the postures of others in their sitting, walking, and standing, and simulate the way they cross their legs or bend, and their facial expressions such as smiling, frowning, and so on. And know that the goal is not to “imitate” them, but rather to communicate your interest in participating.
4. Get into a comfortable position:
If you adopt an appropriate position while speaking to or in front of others, this expands the diaphragm and makes your voice clearer, so that you also sound more impressive and impressive. Which makes you progress in your work.
5. Show your openness and remove potential barriers:
People receive emotional cues from conversation partners; Therefore, if you sit slouched, or cross your arms, or appear “closed” to others; People around you will respond in kind; So keep your body language open to the people you interact with. In addition, avoid putting barriers between you and others, such as tables, etc.
6. Smile genuinely.
A masked smile starts slowly and spreads all over the face, especially the eyes. When you meet someone, show a genuine smile as if you were meeting an old friend, as these gestures express a feeling of warmth and welcome, which encourages others to open up.
7. Minimize the movements.
Standing stiff will not work in business and relationship situations; However, shaking, trembling, or fidgeting shows restlessness or impatience, and gesturing violently while speaking also distracts attention from important points; Therefore, the best policy is to incorporate subtly controlled natural movements to enhance your interaction and mirror the body language of others.
8. Develop a friendly handshake.
The tactile sensation makes the handshake the dominant physical greeting in many cultures. However, mastering this seemingly simple verb takes some work. Avoid excessive handshakes, and find a natural, brief gesture of trust and respect.
Although performing some of these techniques may seem natural, practicing them in every work or social function helps you develop body language habits that will benefit you throughout your career.
Remember that you may not get promoted right away. But effective body language contributes greatly to the success of your career over time.